More Recent Comments

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Poking with Needles, Running with Scissors

noctiluca has posted an interesting article on talk.origins, "The Humpty Dumpty argument - the wit and wisdom of Jonathan Wells." noctiluca quotes Jonathan Wells from a Lee Strobel DVD called"The Case for the Creator." (If you go to the site you can actually watch clips showing the IDiots in action!)
It comes down to this: no matter how many molecules you can produce with early earth conditions, plausible conditions, you're still nowhere near producing a living cell.

And here's how I know: If I take a sterile test tube and I put in it a little bit of fluid with just the right salts, just the right balance of acidity and alkalinity, just the right temperature - the perfect solution for a living cell, and I put in it one living cell, this cell is alive, it has everything it needs for life. Now I take a sterile needle and I poke that cell, and all its stuff leaks out into this test tube, you have in this nice little test tube all the molecules you need for a living cell, not just the pieces of the molecules but the molecules themselves, and you can't make a living cell out of them.

You can't put Humpty Dumpty back together again. So what makes you think that a few amino acids dissolved in the ocean are going to give you a living cell? It's totally unrealistic.
You can't make this stuff up. And you wonder why we call them IDiots?

The talk.origins article closes with, "My wife didn't know if I was laughing or crying." Thanks noctilura, for sharing that with us. :-)

We tell little children not to run with scissors. We should not forget to warn them against poking at things with needles.

4 comments :

Unknown said...

I would like to hear your arguments against this instead of typical insults. I can bet a lot of money can't come up with one logical explanation why "Humpty-Dumpty" can't be put back together again... Call me names, if you have no logical answer...

Unknown said...

They can only call names. Because they have no argument that can prove Jonathan Wells wrong

Unknown said...

I still see no answer to what Jonathan Wells said! I guess there is no explanation, because there is no answer that can prove him wrong.

Anonymous said...

Guys it's been 13 years please I don't have a dog in this I just wanna know